As the well known Sundance Festival finishes up for 2012 here’s a few films to lookout for throughout the coming year:
2 Days in New York (d.Julie Delpy)
The follow-up to the great 2 Days in Paris again with Julie Delpy and newcomer Chris Rock.
Arbitrage (d.Nicholas Jarecki)
Another financial crisis flick? Wouldn’t be hard to be better than Wall Street 2. Looks interesting. Starring Richard Gere.
California Solo (d.Marshall Lewy)
An ex musician gets pulled back into spotlight? Sounds like its been done before but Robert Carlyle is always a draw card.
Bachelorette (d.Leslye Headland)
The next Bridesmaids, but better? Hopefully. I’m a big Lizzy Caplan fan.
Celeste and Jesse Forever (d.Lee Toland Krieger)
A strange premise but looks good.
Goats (d.Christopher Neil)
Cast looks tight so does the premise.
For a Good Time, Call.. (d.Jamie Travis)
Seth Rogen comedy involving phone sex? Cool.
The Words (d.Brian Klugman)
Great cast, a thriller surrounding the life of a writer.
Red Hook Summer (d.Spike Lee)
The latest Lee flick, enough said.
Red Lights (d.Rodrigo Cortes)
The next film with Craig Roberts (Submarine), Elizabeth Olsen (MMMM), and director RC (Buried).
Liberal Arts (d.Josh Radnor)
Time to leave your sitcom Josh? Follow up to his great debut in HappyThankyoumoreplease. I’m hoping for the goods.
Searching For Sugarman (d.Malik Bendjelloul)
Doco about Rodriguez? Cool count me in.
Nobody Walks (d.Ry Russo-Young)
New film with John Krasinski, sold premise.
Something From Nothing (The Art of Rap) (d.Ice T)
For rap enthusiasts and the curious kind.
Simon Killer (d.Antonio Campos)
Could this be Brady Corbet coming into his own?
The Surrogate (d.Ben Lewin)
A man in an iron lung who wishes to lose his virginity contacts a professional sex surrogate with the help of his therapist and priest?
Shut Up and Play the Hits (d.Will Lovelace)
LCD Soundsystem anyone?
And here were the winners and films of note:
- Grand Jury Prize: Documentary – The House I Live In
- Grand Jury Prize: Dramatic – Beasts of the Southern Wild
- World Cinema Jury Prize: Documentary – The Law in These Parts
- World Cinema Jury Prize: Dramatic – Violeta Went to Heaven (Violeta se Fue a Los Cielos)
- Audience Award: U.S. Documentary – The Invisible War
- Audience Award: U.S. Dramatic – The Surrogate
- World Cinema Audience Award: Documentary – Searching for Sugar Man
- World Cinema Audience Award: Dramatic – Valley of Saints
- Best of NEXT Audience Award – Sleepwalk with Me
- U.S. Directing Award: Documentary – The Queen of Versailles
- U.S. Directing Award: Dramatic – Middle Of Nowhere
- World Cinema Directing Award: Documentary – 5 Broken Cameras
- World Cinema Directing Award: Dramatic – Teddy Bear
- U.S. Dramatic Special Jury Prize for Excellence in Independent Film Producing – Smashed and Nobody Walks
- U.S. Dramatic Special Jury Prize for Ensemble Acting – The Surrogate
- World Cinema Dramatic Special Jury Prize for Artistic Vision – Can
- World Cinema Documentary Special Jury Prize for its Celebration of the Artistic Spirit – Searching for Sugar Man
- Short Film Audience Award – The Debutante Hunters