What an extremely long task, a one man show – fielding his way through all the bullshit and more to try encapulate the best sounds that 2014 had to offer. Not even getting close to listening to even the short list of everything that was available – with the after thought ringing in upside your mind that their will be more to discover later and more regrets. But hey instinct and opportunity led me to this, so without further ado. Here’s the shit that either impressed me or i found interesting in 2014. Here’s Part 1!
50. Cult of Youth – Final Days (Sacred Bones)
Best Tracks – Down the Moon, Empty Faction, God’s Garden
49. Robert Plant – lullaby and…. THE CEASELESS ROAR (Nonesuch)
Best Tracks – Little Maggie, Rainbow, Pocketful of Golden
48. M. Geddes Gengras – Ishi (Stones Throw)
Best Track – Ishi
47. Perfect Pussy – Say Yes to Love (Captured Tracks)
Best Tracks – Driver, Big Stars, Advance Upon the Real
46. Spoon – They Want My Soul (Loma Vista)
Best Tracks – Rent I Pay, Inside Out, Rainy Taxi, Let me Be Mine
45. Neneh Cherry – Blank Project (Smalltown Supersound)
Best Tracks – Naked, 422, Out of the Black, Dossier
44. ††† – ††† (Sumerian)
Best Tracks – Telepathy, Frontiers, Blk Station, Cross, Option
43. Opeth – Pale Communion (Roadrunner)
Best Tracks – Cusp of Eternity, Eternal Rains Will Come, Goblin
42. We Were Promised Jetpacks – Unraveling (Imports)
Best Tracks – I Keep It Composed, Peace Sign, Night Terror
41. Hamilton Leithauser – Black Hours (Ribbon Music)
Best Tracks – 5am, Silent Orchestra, Alexandra
40. White Fence – For the Recently Found Innocent (Drag City)
Best Tracks – Anger, Who Keeps You Under, Like That, Sandra
39. Cave – Release (Drag City)
Best Tracks – Bobby’s Hash, The Ride, Jim
38. The Hold Steady – Teeth Dreams (Razor & Tie)
Best Tracks – I Hope This Whole Thing Didn’t Frighten You, The Only Thing, On With the Business
37. Hookworms – The Hum (Domino)
Best Tracks – Impasse, On Leaving
36. Blonde Redhead – Barragan (Kobait)
Best Tracks – Lady M, Dripping, No More Honey, Mine to be Had.
35. Ryan Adams – Ryan Adams (Pax-Am)
Best Tracks – Am I Safe, My Wrecking Ball, Feels Like Fire
34. Wye Oak – Shriek (Merge)
Best Tracks – Glory, Sick Talk, Despicable Animal
33. Steve Gunn – Way Out Weather (Paradise of Bachelors)
Best Tracks – Milly’s Garden, Drifter, Tommy’s Congo
32. EMA – The Future’s Void (Matador)
Best Tracks – Satellites, 3Jane, So Blonde, Smoulder
31. Alex G – DSU (Orchid Tapes)
Best Tracks – After Ur Gone, Serpent, Harvey
30. Freeman – Freeman (Partisan)
Gene Ween himself, Mr Aaron Freeman offers up a fine set of songs.
Best Tracks – Covert Discretion, The English and Western Stallion, (For a While) I Couldn’t Play Guitar Like A Man
29. Damien Jurado – Brothers and Sisters of the Eternal Sun (Secretly Canadian)
Best Tracks – Magic Number, Silver Timothy
28. Thom Yorke – Tomorow’s Modern Boxes (Self-Released)
Surprise release of 2014, not unprecedented however cold reception! There’s a few gems here.
Best Tracks – Guess Again, Interference, The Mother Lode
27. Hiss Golden Messenger – Lateness of Dancers (Merge)
There’s a possibility that “Alt-Country” reared it’s head again in 2014. With MC Taylor, putting forth his two cents.
Best Tracks – I’m a Raven (Shake Children), Lucia, Saturdays
26. Earth – Primitive and Deadly (Southern Lord)
Mark Lanegan and Earth, what an earthly combination!
Best Tracks – Torn by the Fox of the Crescent Moon, From the Zodiacal Light
25. The Notwist – Close to the Glass (Sub Pop)
Not quite Neon Golden, but a nice addition to their catalogue.
Best Tracks – Casino, Seven Hour Drive, Signals
24. Sun Kil Moon – Benji (Caldo Verde)
Like a film with too many adult themes, gains itself a R rating. This album should probably have the same. With such misery there’s beauty to find in this one.
Best Tracks – Truck Driver, Dog
23. Total Control – Typical System (Iron Lung)
TC offer up their sophomore effort. Apart from being a stellar album you get a bit of this and a bit of that here, and whose complaining?
Best Tracks – Bloody Glass, Flesh War, Two Less Jacks
22. Ben Frost – A U R O R A (Mute)
It’s like watching a film you don’t understand but want to, you keep coming back for more. Enthralling stuff
Best Tracks – Nolan, Secant
21. Protomartyr – Under Color of Official Right (Hardly Art)
These dudes from Detroit deliver a hard up belter. Rock and Roll with a touch of that post punk stuff.
Best Tracks – Maidenhead, Aint So Simple, Want Remover, Tarpeian Rock
20. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard – I’m In Your Mind Fuzz (Heavenly)
Australian outfit, bring the fuzz, no literally.
Best Tracks – The first 4 = 1
19. East India Youth – Total Strife Forever (Stolen Recordings)
Best Tracks – Glitter Recession, Total Strife Forever
18. Real Estate – Atlas (Domino)
Best Tracks – Had to Hear, Past Lives, Crime
17. Badbadnotgood – 3 (Innovative Leisure)
Best Tracks – Triangle, Can’t Leave the Night
16. Ty Segall – Manipulator (Drag City)
Best Tracks – Manipulator, Feel, The Faker
15. Swans – To Be Kind (Young God)
Best Tracks – Screenshot, She Loves Us
14. Fennesz – Becs (Editions Mego)
Best Tracks – Static King, The Liar, Liminality
13. Cloud Nothings – Here and Nowhere Else (Carpark)
Best Tracks – Just See Fear, Pattern Walks, Quieter Today
12. Beck – Morning Phase (Capitol)
Best Tracks – Morning, Wave, Say Goodbye, Blue Moon
11. Wild Beasts – Present Tense (Domino)
Best Tracks – Wanderlust, Mecca, Sweet Spot, Nature Boy
10. Caribou – Our Love (Merge)
Best Tracks – Back Home, Julia Brightly, Mars
9. Liars – Mess (Mute)
Best Tracks – Mask Maker, VOD, Pro-anti, Mess on a Mission, I’m No Gold
8. Flying Lotus – You’re Dead! (Warp)
Best Tracks – It’s best not to segregate tracks from this album, but for track sake – Tesla, Turkey Dog Coma
7. Damon Albarn – Everyday Robots (Parlophone)
Best Tracks – Everyday Robots, Hostilities, Lonely Press Play
6. Parquet Courts – Sunbathing Animal (What’s Your Rupture?)
Best Tracks – Bodies, She’s Rollin, Black and White, What Color is Blood?
5. Eno/Hyde – High Life (Warp)
Best Tracks – Return, DBF, Moulded Life
4. The War on Drugs – Lost in the Dream (Secretly Canadian)
Best Tracks – Under the Pressure, Eyes to the Wind, An Ocean In between the Waves
3. Mogwai – Rave Tapes (Sub-pop)
Best Tracks – Hexon Bogon, Remurdered, Simon Ferocious, Heard About You Last Night
2. Grumbling Fur – Preternaturals (The Quietus Phonographic Corporation)
Best Tracks – All the Rays, Mister Skeleton, Feet of Clay.
1. Millie and Andrea – Drop the Vowels (Modern Love)
And there it is, a whirlwind of a year, Trying to form some kind of mathematical equation between discovering new artists + paying respect to familiar artists = Not enough time. Andy Stott and Miles Whittaker delivered a spell-bounding effort, something that i kept coming back to time after time and completely got lost in.
Best Tracks – GIF RIFF, Stay Ugly